Hello! I'm Josh Cannons. System administrator, Open-Source enthusiast, devout Linux user and part-time code slinger. For the last four years, I have been providing part-time freelance IT support in the Far North region for a variety of small business.While focusing on Linux as a development platform, I have worked extensively with Windows server and desktop systems in a professional capacity and believe in a pragmatic approach to Information Technology.
Even though I have always found freelance work challenging and varied, without exposure to more experienced professionals it has been difficult to find avenues of growth through collaboration, mentoring or simply watching a master at work.
It is because of this that I now seek to leverage my acquired skill set within a team environment.
I specialise in
Linux and Windows System Administration
Security Hardening and Digital Forensics
Network Configuration and Auditing
Development and Management of Secure Cloud Services
- Configuration, management and support of various platforms including Windows Server 2008-2012, FreeBSD, CentOS/RHEL and Ubuntu
- Design, implement and maintain small business IT infrastructure including the provisioning of server and workstation hardware, network printers, software applications and cloud services
- Develop and implement secure and distributed business services on bare-metal systems, virtualization or via Docker including LAMP stacks and database applications
- WAN and LAN implementation and troubleshooting supported by a broad understanding of network technologies and protocols including, Implementation of Cisco and Draytek proprietary equipment
- Understanding of essential Unix/Linux commands for the purpose of system monitoring, security and performance profiling and system auditing
- Highly detailed system and infrastructure documentation including configuration, performance monitoring and support data
- Review, assess and document vulnerabilities to improve the security of networks and information systems
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP and Networking protocols including active packet capture and analysis
- Safeguard network assets and confidential data from unauthorized access, modification, destruction or disclosure though the development of security policies and the management of user access, firewalls and intrusion detection systems
- Provide accurate and timely incident analysis/response with detailed reporting
- A rich understanding of current Privacy Laws and the social and ethical aspects of digital investigations and security analysis
- Broad knowledge of computer security topics such as digital forensics, incident response, application security and malware analysis
- Experience wiping/destroying, imaging, verifying and validating media to all industry and court-approved standards using hardware and software based forensic tools
- Configuration and application of physical and virtual write-blocking technology
- Firm understanding of hexadecimal code and file structures, headers and footers including the creation of custom binary to assist in file carving
- Design and development of standalone and enterprise applications using Java EE, SQL, PHP, Asp.NET and HTML/CSS
- Manage projects with Git, Redmine and Slack to co-ordinate team based application development
- Audit code to identify and mediate possible security flaws including input validation, SQL injection and buffer overflow issues
Licensed Private Investigator
Queensland Police Service
License Number - 4000686
Docker Deep Dive
Learning Chef DevOps Deployment
Linux Academy Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator Prep Course
Certificate III in Investigative Services
Bachelor's Degree - Information Technology (Network Security)
Diploma of Information Technology (Network Administration)
Develop and maintain network and server architecture for a variety of clients
Small business network, server and desktop support, providing professional advice and support for both new and existing infrastructure
Provided IT support and maintenance to small business and home users
A simple php website to manage patients at a General Practice
The goal of this project was to develop Web Services applications to allow clients to convert temperature unit from any scale.
The web service server provides functions to convert temperature from one unit to another. The web service client read users’ request from the web form and invoke the functions from the web service server to get results.
This document provide an example of server/system documentation. Included is a small sample of servers with their basic configuration information and system documentation.